DEPARTMENT OF CIVIL ENGINEERING
On successful completion of the program, graduates will be able to
- Identify, formulate and solve Civil Engineering problems with the knowledge of mathematics, science and engineering fundamentals and Civil Engineering principles.
- Design a system, component or process as per needs and specifications.
- Use modern engineering tools, software and equipment to analyze and solve civil engineering problems.
- Understand the impact of engineering solutions on the society and also will be aware of contemporary issues.
- Apply ethical principles and commit to responsibilities and norms of the Civil Engineering practice.
- Make effective presentations in oral and written forms.
- Develop leadership and confidence for self education and ability for life-long learning. .
To be a department of excellence in constructing a civilized society
- To offer technical education and research guidance to the students. .
Program Educational Objectives
- To enhance the fundamental knowledge relevant to various streams of Civil Engineering.
- To develop the confidence and ability among students to apply technical concepts in real world problems.
- To engage students in life-long learning process throughout their professional life.
The Department of Civil Engineering was established in the year 2009 and it is a part of the institute since its inception. It offers undergraduate courses. The Department runs successfully with highly qualified, knowledgeable and energetic faculties. The Department enhances the student's knowledge by conducting various programs like project exhibition, technical quiz, paper presentation, CAD contest, poster presentation and so on. The faculty members of our department actively participating in various Conferences, Faculty Development Programmes, and Workshops to enrich and update their knowledge in the field of Civil Engineering. In order to maintain quality in all fields, particularly at construction field, the department is offering service to all levels in the construction industry and government sectors.
The Department has over 8 well equipped laboratories, offering facilities to work in all areas of Civil Engineering. The Department is well equipped with a numerous PCs and workstations hosting several software packages. Students get easy access to the labs and free to work on any projects they like, in conation with the faculty. The available laboratories are:
CONCRETE AND HIGHWAY/CONSTRUCTION MATERIALS LABORATORY
- Permeability Testing machine
- Los-Angeles Abrasion testing machine
- Bituminous Testing Apparatus—Penetration test, Ductility Test, Sofetening Point test.
- Concrete Cube, Cylinder, Prism moulds
- Slump cone, Flow table, Vee Bee Consistometer
- CBR apparatus
Carpentry and Plumbing Lab
- Pipe vice (2 inch)
- Die set (2 inch)
- Metallic, Plastic, Flexible pipes
- Coupling, Unions, Elbows and other fittings
- Flow measurement apparatus
- Orifice meter with all necessary fittings
- Major loss - Friction loss
- Minor losses pipe line assembly
- Centrifuged pump assembly with accessories
- Deep well pump assembly with accessories
- Venturimeter, manometer, fixtures like valves , colleting tank
- Calibration of flow through orifice tank with provision for fixing orifices of different shapes , collecting tank
- Calibration of flow through mouth pice tank with provision for fixing mouth pieces
- Calculation of metacentric height water tank ship model with accessories
- Centrifugal pump assembly with accessories
- Reciprocating pump assembly with accessories
- Rotameter setup
- Gearpump setup
- Bernoullis Theorem apparatus
- Impulse turbine assembly with fittings and accessories
ENVIRONMENTAL ENGINEERING LABORATORY
- Digital turbidity meter
- Digital pH meter
- Digital Calorie meter
- Oxygen Analyzer
- BOD and COD analyzer
SOIL MECHANICS LABORATORY
- Direct shear test
- Triaxial testing machine
- Proctor Compaction apparatus
- Field density testing apparatus
- Liquid limit, Plastic limit, Shrinkage limit testing apparatus
STRENGTH OF MATERIALS LABORATORY
- UTM of minimum 400 kN capacity
- Izod,Charpy impact testing machine
- Hardness testing machine
- Rockwell and Brinnel
- Beam deflection test apparatus
- Dial gauges
- Le Chatelier's apparatus
- Vicat's apparatus
- Mortar cube moulds
- Total Station
- Dumpy level / Filling level
- Pocket stereoscope
- Ranging rods
- Levelling staff
- Cross staff
- Prismatic compass
- Surveyor Compass
- Survey grade or Hand held GPS
The Department is lead by Dr.R.Ninija Merina.
Students are encouraged to develop expertise in areas of personal interest as well as to develop knowledge of subjects outside of engineering related to
construction and maintenance of infrastructure in harmony with the society and environment.