DEPARTMENT OF CHEMISTRY
On successful completion of the program, graduates will be able to
- To introduce pioneering programs in the Department that will embrace heritage and values to the Institution
- To produce graduates of International distinction, committed to integrity, professionalism and life long learning by widening their knowledge horizons in range and depth.
- To sustain efficient operating systems towards realization of our objectives, as Institution of eminence and International standards.
- Exploring the diverse industrial oriented applications of chemistry in Engineering .
- Correlating the relation with various principles, theoretical and practical aspects of chemistry in Engineering for valuable outcomes.
- To provide sufficient knowledge about the applications of chemistry in various engineering fields.
- To develop practical knowledge in chemistry so as to apply it for various engineering applications and research activities.
- To indicate the ideals of chemistry to enable them in diverse engineering disciplines.
- To awaken the young minds and discover their talents both in theory and in practical chemistry, through dedication to teaching, commitment and innovative instructional methods.
- To support the developmental activities of the College and make the Department vibrant.
- To organize critical contributions in areas such as, modern labs, department library and demonstrate a high level of competence in the study of Engineering Chemistry.
Our Department faculties are handling Engineering Chemistry theory and practicals as well
as environmental science and engineering for BE/BTech students. At the BE/ B.Tech. level, the department offers theory as well as practical courses covering
basic concepts and experiments useful to engineering. The faculty members are also involved in various developmental activities of the institution in different
capacities. The department provides very good teaching programmes using the modern teaching aids and equipments. The department also motivates for good link with
industrial sponsored research works. The department also organizes invited lectures beneficial to the students.
There are six faculty members in our department. The department is headed by Dr. C. Justin Dhanaraj.
Our department has well equipped chemistry laboratory. The BE/B Tech students utilize it for chemistry laboratory practicals in the first year.
In addition, the final year students carry out the chemistry based projects in our laboratory. Research scholars and project fellows/assistants conduct
their research works in the chemistry laboratory. The department also has the instrumental facilities like cyclic voltammetry, pH-meter, Flame Photometer,
Potentiometer, Conductivity meter, Hot air oven and spectrophotometer.
The laboratory is spacious with fume hood to conduct noxious reactions.
Students are encouraged to develop expertise in areas of personal
interest as well as to develop knowledge of
subjects outside of engineering related to construction and maintenance of infrastructure in harmony with the society and environment.
- The Department of Chemistry organized invited talk on 04-03-16 about NanoScience. Prof. Chitra Thomas delivered lecture.
- Our department conducted invited talk about NanoScience and technology on 04-11-16. Dr. K. Jeya Subramaniyan, Professor, Department of Chemistry from Mepco Engineering College Sivakasi delivered lecture.
- The department organized seminar on Environmental Science and Engineering on 20-04-18. Dr Umaiyoru Bagan, Director, Amritha Group of Institutions, Erachakulam delivered lecture.
- The department is actively engaged in various fields of research such as polymer materials, electrochemistry, corrosion, composite materials, nanomaterials, catalysis and inorganic complexes for medicinal applications. The department is also having collaborative research with various reputed institutions/ research laboratories. The department is helping the final year students to do their project works related to chemistry.
- All the faculty members of the Department are dedicated in publishing research papers in reputed national & international journals.
- The faculty members have been awarded with funded projects from various funding agencies Viz CSIR, DST-SERB, BMTPC, TNSCST. The faculty members are also exploring and updating their research by presenting paper in various conferences, workshops and seminars. They also deliver invited lectures about their research areas as well as the thrust areas of research. Several Ph.D. scholars are pursuing research in the department. The staff members of the department have produced many Ph.D. scholars.